Monday, August 16, 2004

Osama bin Voldemort?

A great Washington Post article explores just how seldom Bush mentions Osama by name:


Since the beginning of 2003 Bush has mentioned bin Laden's name on only 10 occasions. And on six of those occasions it was because he was asked a direct question. In addition, there were four times when Bush was asked about bin Laden directly but was able to answer without mentioning bin Laden's name himself. Not once during that period has he talked about bin Laden at any length, or said anything substantive. During the same period, for comparison purposes, Bush has mentioned former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein on approximately 300 occasions.
And what was it he did say the last time he said anything at length about He Who Shall Not Be Named? (March 2002 Press Conference):

Deep in my heart I know the man is on the run, if he's alive at all. Who knows if he's hiding in some cave or not; we haven't heard from him in a long time. And the idea of focusing on one person is -- really indicates to me people don't understand the scope of the mission. Terror is bigger than one person.

So I don't know where he is. You know, I just don't spend that much time on him, Kelly, to be honest with you...we haven't heard much from him. And I wouldn't necessarily say he's at the center of any command structure. And, again, I don't know where he is. I -- I'll repeat what I said. I truly am not that concerned about him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home