Wednesday, May 18, 2005

My New Hero

George Galloway, member of British Parliament for Bethnal Green and Bow, testified in front of the Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations of the Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee yesterday to defend himself against charges that he profited illegally from the Oil For Food Program in Iraq. Now I don't know enough about this whole issue to confidently judge his guilt or innocence but he certainly came off as credible and believeable in his testimony, and better yet, used the opportunity to SLAM the US and British role in going to war in Iraq. Read the whole testimony HERE and watch the video HERE.

On his involvement:

Now I want to deal with the pages that relate to me in this dossier and I want to point out areas where there are - let’s be charitable and say errors. Then I want to put this in the context where I believe it ought to be. On the very first page of your document about me you assert that I have had ‘many meetings’ with Saddam Hussein. This is false. I have had two meetings with Saddam Hussein, once in 1994 and once in August of 2002. By no stretch of the English language can that be described as “many meetings” with Saddam Hussein. As a matter of fact, I have met Saddam Hussein exactly the same number of times as Donald Rumsfeld met him. The difference is Donald Rumsfeld met him to sell him guns and to give him maps the better to target those guns. I met him to try and bring about an end to sanctions, suffering and war, and on the second of the two occasions, I met him to try and persuade him to let Dr Hans Blix and the United Nations weapons inspectors back into the country - a rather better use of two meetings with Saddam Hussein than your own Secretary of State for Defense made of his.
On Iraq:

I gave my heart and soul to stop you committing the disaster that you did commit in invading Iraq. And I told the world that your case for the war was a pack of lies. I told the world that Iraq, contrary to your claims did not have weapons of mass destruction. I told the world, contrary to your claims, that Iraq had no connection to al-Qaeda. I told the world, contrary to your claims, that Iraq had no connection to the atrocity on 9/11 2001. I told the world, contrary to your claims, that the Iraqi people would resist a British and American invasion of their country and that the fall of Baghdad would not be the beginning of the end, but merely the end of the beginning. Senator, in everything I said about Iraq, I turned out to be right and you turned out to be wrong and 100,000 people paid with their lives; 1600 of them American soldiers sent to their deaths on a pack of lies; 15,000 of them wounded, many of them disabled forever on a pack of lies.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Galloway, if he proves his innocence, will emerge a hero. I hope so, because otherwise the issue of the $8.8 billion unaccounted for expenditures in Iraq will get lost. To me, his most effective point was that the zealous investigation of his alleged misdeeds merely obscures the real crimes, namely that $8.8. billion is unaccounted for, and has likely been drained through various forms of payoffs and theft. It's hard to imagine that all of it has been used effectively and efficiently as part of some under-the-table operation.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home