Friday, June 03, 2005

In Search of a 21st Century Deep Throat

On one level I'm somewhat ambivalent about the revelation that Mark Felt is the famed Deep Throat of Watergate fame. And I don't mind saying I'm growing a bit weary of the coverage of it. Having not experienced Watergate (although my mother is fond of relating that, as a toddler, my favorite TV shows were Sesame Street and the Watergate hearings) I guess there's a sort of feeling of its not really relating to my life. But ex-presidential candidate George McGovern (he lost to Richard Nixon in fact) came out swinging yesterday with his thesis of why this story may be more pertinent today that it seems:

I wish there were somebody of the Deep Throat time in this administration who is aware of what's going on....We need someone like that who is highly placed to tell us what's really going on. We know that we were misled on Iraq...

This war in Iraq, in my opinion is worse than anything Nixon did. I think Nixon deserved to be expelled from office in view of the cover-up that he carried on and the laws that he violated.

But we have an administration in power now that led us to a war that is internationally illegal; it's a war that we are fighting with a country that has no threat to us that has nothing to do with the 9-11 attacks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home