Thursday, August 11, 2005

Cindy Sheehan GMA Transcript

CHARLES GIBSON: Do you really expect the president to see you?
CINDY SHEEHAN: No, I really don't. But, you know, even if he doesn't, we've accomplished so much in the few, few short days that we've been here. And the outpouring of love and support from America and the world has just been so amazing and, and gratifying to us who are staying out here in Crawford.
GIBSON: You did have a meeting with the president just after Casey had died, and he came to console ...
SHEEHAN: Right.
GIBSON: ... the family. Why didn't you make the points to him then?
SHEEHAN: Well, mostly because my son had only been dead for about nine weeks and I was in a deep state of shock and a -deep state of grief, and I didn't really know, the Dalfour weapons of mass destruction report hadn't come out, the - Senate intelligence report, the 9/11 Commission report, the Downing Street memos, and those all just proved to me that this war was based on lies and it never should have happened. (in reporters terms, that's called the "nut graf".And so I went from a deep state of shock to a deep state of anger.
GIBSON: I want to play for you a brief soundbite from a man named Jim Boskovitch who was interviewed by George Stephanopoulos this past Sunday and whose son just did die as well in Iraq. I want you to listen to what he had to say.
JIM BOSKOVITCH, SON KILLED IN IRAQ: I firmly believe, and I would echo my son's feelings on this, that it is very, very important for our country to remain steadfast and complete the mission that they set out to accomplish.
GIBSON: There are a lot of parents who feel that way, who've lost children over there. What, what do you say to them? Does what you're doing in any way disrespect their loss?
SHEEHAN: No. I don't believe so. I believe that the only way we can honor our children's memory is -by bringing the rest of them home alive. But I'd like to say to these people is, number one, I wish they could tell me what the mission is 'cause the mission changes all the time and the mission is very ill-defined. And, number two, I would never, ever question how a parent has to grieve their loss because his son came home the same way my son came home, and I honor the way he feels, and I, and I also honor that this is America and there's - differing viewpoints and we all have the right to express our viewpoints. And I reach out to every single family who, who has lost loved ones in this war because we're all going through the same pain. And I just want to say that our children are being honored, and, and a lot of them died saving their buddies and that's what we're trying to do. We're trying to save their buddies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home