Friday, September 02, 2005

Ray Nagin, New Orleans Mayor

In an interview with Garland Robinette of WWL Radio, New Orleans Mayor Nagin had the following to say:

GR: You and I must be in the minority, because apparently there's a section of our citizenry out there that thinks because of a law that says the federal government can't come in unless requested by the proper people, that everything that's been going on to this point has been as good as it can possibly be.
RN: Really?
GR: I know you don't feel that way.
RN: Well... did the tsunami victims request? Did they go through a formal process to request? Did Iraq -- did the Iraqi people request that we go in there? Did they ask us to go in there? What is more important? I tell ya man, I'm probably going to be in a whole bunch of trouble, I'm probably going to be in so much trouble it ain't even funny. You probably won't even want to deal with me after this interview is over.
GR: You and I will be in the funny place together.
RN: But -- we authorized $8 billion to go to Iraq, lickety-quick. After 9/11, we gave the president unprecedented powers -- lickety-quick -- to take care of New York and other places. Now you mean to tell me that a place where most of the oil is coming through... a place that is so unique, when you mention New Orleans anywhere around the world, everybody's eyes light up... you mean to tell me that a place where you probably have thousands people that have died, and thousands more that are dying every day, that we can't figure out a way to authorize the resources that we need? Come on, man.


You know I'm not one of those drug addicts, I am thinking very clearly. And I don't know whose problem it is. I don't know whether it's the governor's problem, I don't know whether it's the president's problem. But somebody needs to get their ass on a plane, and sit down, the two of them, and figure this out right now."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Bye, bye Miss American pie...
Sometimes odd things happen and you just can't say why. I ended my blog last week by quoting Don McLean's song Vincent , and today, after Hurricane Katrina, the first words that came into my mind as I sat down ...
I like this blog - what is the name of the template you used? Thanks. From a detox diet info site.

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya Todd, why don't you check out this GoogleCache story from Sunday.

Might be particularly important to note this paragraph:

Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco said that President Bush had called and urged the state to order the evacuation.

Funny how this particular element isn't getting a lot of attention, eh? Might also want to ask why CNN (a news organization I think you termed "Conservative") changed the story after the fact to remove that part.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it now appears that all Todd has really done is here is give the Mayor of New Orleans a platform for his cynical ploy to cover his own political a**:

Perhaps Todd should be asking why these New Orleans public school busses are sitting in such nice neat rows. One would think that had they been [b]USED[/b] to assist in the pre-hurricane evacuation, they wouldn't have been returned to their lot, let alone parked in such a nice, orderly fashion.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home