Thursday, July 29, 2004

Live Real Time Commentary - John Kerry

Entering from the floor to Springsteen's "Don't Surrender." Great choice. Reminds me, does anyone know if Springsteen's gonna play at the Meadowlands in August as Bush accepts the nomination? There's a movement afoot.

Dave has his thunder sticks ready to go. I'll be reporting on what moments get the biggest thunder stick action.

I'm looking around and geez, these journalists are so jaded and boring. Lighten up, people.

Not a big fan of the "I'm reporting for duty" salute thing. And he actually said flat out the theme of the night. Show it don't tell it, man.

C'mon, dude, wow me.

OK, he seems to be hitting his stride. "We believed we could change the world and you know what? We did."

"I will restore trust and credibility to the White House." Go, John.

"There is nothing more pessimistic than saying that America can't do better" got a couple thunder sticks.

"We're the can-do people"? Hmm. Sort of a weird line.

I must say, this is the most relaxed I've seen him, and moving. His actual acceptance was eloquent and impassioned and I feel even more that I trust this guy. Of course, he did have me at hello, so the question is will others be moved by him as well.

"The United States of America never goes to war because we want to, we only go to war because we have to." I know it's been said before, but I've never before felt how strongly he believes it.

"I defended this country as a young man and I will defend it as president." I think that's the line of the night. In one line it says it all. Why did it take them so long to come up with that one? Dave dropped one of his thunder sticks.

I'm such a sucker for the Wes Clark line he's appropriated about the flag belonging to all of us. Love it.

OK, here come values. "Values spoken without actions taken are just slogans." Good slogan. So is the ole "family values, value families" switcheroo. He's getting into trite territory now.

"Help is on the way." Umm, put the "e" at the end and replace the "l" with an "o" you have John Edwards's speech.

Wow, he's sweating. Hope he doesn't have a Broadcast News moment.

I think this speech is what people mean when they say John Kerry is a good closer. He wants this job so badly, he is really rising to this occasion. I never felt the same of Al Gore. He wanted to hook up with his wife, but be president -- enh, take it or leave it.

John Kerry is talking about what he will do as president and the thundersticks are a tappin.

"When I am president..." Music to my ears, man.

He's addressing George now, asking for optimism. Fat chance. "Let's never misuse for political purposes the constitution of the U.S." Wow, he went there, albeit, without really going there.

Ha, I like the line about the US not being divided into red states and blue states but one America, "red, white and blue."

"What if?" I like it. It's a nice way of pushing the optimism thing without saying the word "optimism."

Ahh, and he gets back to his military service. He must be finishing up. "We're all in the same boat" is an oldie but goodie.

U2's "Beautiful Day" plays. Dave wants to know where the baloons are.

I must say the one thing about his salute is the fact that he looks at ease with the gesture.

Seeing them on stage together gets me pretty psyched. Imagining the contrast between them and the image at Madison Square Garden in September makes me smile.

What up with Teresa's space suit?? Open the pod doors, Hal.

Ahh, what would a convention be without Van Halen? Heard "Right Now" the other day at an event. This one is "Dreams." And the thundersticks are in full effect.

Are the balloons stuck? Dave is getting a little upset. Here they come.

"Celebration" by Kool And The Gang. Man, wish I was in there.

What did you guys think?








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home